Green Vegetarian Cuisine’s is more than just our name. It also stands for the way we do business. What we have done: installed an energy efficient thermal roof barrier to reduce energy consumption, reused an existing circa 1896 structure to help revitalize an area of downtown. green has also reused the majority of its restaurant equipment from refrigerators to booths/tables. green has a recycling dumpster for cardboard, a large bike rack, fair trade organic coffee, free range eggs, uses biodegradable packaging when possible, and will eventually install a cistern to capture rainwater for landscape maintenance. We have free wifi and plenty of places to plug in your power cord.
Green Vegetarian Cuisine ® will be a part of Texas’ transition from fat to fit.. Our goal is to occupy a smaller footprint and be a more sustainable restaurant.
Awards and Accomplishments
- San Antonio Business Journal Morning Meeting Madness 2014 Champion: Best Morning Meeting Place for Coffee or Breakfast
- San Antonio Express News Reader’s Choice Awards 2014 (Gold): Healthy / Lite
- San Antonio Express News Critic’s & Reader’s Choice Awards 2014 (Gold): Vegetarian / Vegan
- San Antonio Express News Reader’s Choice Awards 2014 (Gold): Food Allergy-friendly
- San Antonio Express News Reader’s Choice Awards 2014 (Bronze): Restaurant at The Pearl Complex
- News 4 San Antonio: Blue Plate Award for Green Vegetarian Cuisine at Alon Town Centre (100% Health Inspection)
- San Antonio Current Best Best Vegetarian 2014: 1st place
- News 4 San Antonio: Best Place to Get a Healthy Meal 2014
- San Antonio Express News Critic’s & Reader’s Choice Awards 2013: Best Healthy/Light/Vegetarian Restaurant
- Awarded TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence
- San Antonio Current Best of San Antonio Reader’s Choice Award 2013: Best Veggie Burger
- San Antonio Current Best of San Antonio Reader’s Choice Award 2013: Best Vegetarian Restaurant
- Green moved its Downtown location to the Pearl Brewery on March 3, 2013
- Selected by editors of the Local Eats website as the best vegetarian restaurant in San Antonio
- San Antonio Magazine Best of the City Healthy Dining Category Reader’s Winner November 2012
- San Antonio Current Best Veggie Burger and Best Vegetarian Options 2012: 1st place
- San Antonio Express News Reader’s Choice Awards 2011: Best Healthy/Light/Vegetarian Restaurant
- Second Location Opened on October 2, 2011
- San Antonio Business Journal Going Green Award 2011
- Alamo Area Council of Governments 2010 Air Quality Stewardship Award
- San Antonio Current Best of San Antonio Reader’s Choice Award 2010: Best Veggie Burgers
- San Antonio Current Best of San Antonio Reader’s Choice Award 2010: Best Vegetarian Options
- TamaleFest SA 2010 Contemporary Category: 3rd place
- TamaleFest SA 2010 Traditional Category: 3rd place
- San Antonio Current Best of San Antonio Reader’s Choice Award 2009: Best Local Chef
- San Antonio Current Best of San Antonio Reader’s Choice Award 2009: Best Vegetarian Options
- Overall Best Restaurant Salsa (Roasted Papaya) at the 2nd annual Sukkah and Salsa Fiesta
- Certified as Kosher on June 29, 2008 and is under supervision of the Vaad Hakashruth of San Antonio
- San Antonio Express News Reader’s Choice Awards 2008: 3rd Place Healthy Lite Menu
- San Antonio Current Best of San Antonio Reader’s Choice Award 2008: Most Talented Local Chef
- San Antonio Current Best of San Antonio Reader’s Choice Award 2008: Best Vegetarian Options
- San Antonio Express News Readers’ Choice Awards 2008 Healthy Lite Menu
- San Antonio Express News Critics’ Choice Awards 2007 Best New Restaurant
Chris came on board at Green Vegetarian Cuisine in 2010 as co-owner and general manager. He hit the ground running with a mountain of ideas and drew from his experience growing up in the restaurant business to emphasize customer involvement and satisfaction at green.
Chris became vegetarian in 2010 and is passionate about creating new dishes and long-distance running. He is a father of three children: Courtney, Chase, and Cameron and the oldest Behrend brother; he doesn’t hesitate to remind his younger brother Mike of this fact from time to time.
Mike is a professional chef with more than 20 years experience in the restaurant business. With his mother Luann Singleton they owned and operated Lulu’s Bakery and Café for 15 years. In January of 2006, they sold Lulu’s allowing them to begin construction on green, San Antonio’s first vegetarian restaurant.
Mike became a vegetarian in the Summer of 2005. The winning combination of a healthier diet and regular exercise was a turning point in his life and career as a chef. To date, he has completed five triathlons, four marathons, two century bike rides and many 5k and 10k road races.
In the fall of 2010, green welcomed Mike and his wife Edlyn’s first son, Ezekiel to the world. Juggling the hats of chef, husband, and father isn’t easy but Mike says it’s all worth it to see green and his family growing together. Then in 2012, their daughter Eliana joined their family.
Paul Evans has been part of Green Vegetarian Cuisine since before there was a roof on our first location just north of downtown San Antonio. He is a lifelong vegetarian who understands how difficult it is for the vegetarian community to find great food options ranging from savory comfort food to flavorful healthy dishes. Paul is a technical guy with an engineering background so don’t expect to see him in the kitchen during your visits.
Paul is committed to lifelong vegetarian lifestyle. He and his wife Ellen see the benefits of being vegetarian and have made the commitment to raise their two sons as vegetarians as well. Helping others experience the great flavors of Green is something Paul really enjoys and he looks forward to the day when there is a Green Vegetarian Cuisine in every major city in Texas.