From the Author:
I’m Laura. A few years ago, my partner, Isaac and I decided to share our love for vintage clothing with the rest of San Antonio. We started out as a couple of creatives scouring thrift stores to find unique outfits for photo shoots. We soon amassed a collection too large for our own closets. After years of selling online, participating in local pop-up shops and building a sizable following, we took a leap of faith and opened our first brick and mortar, The Come Up.
3 Reasons to Shop at a Curated Vintage Clothing Store
- Environmentally Friendly
- Upwards of 12 million tons of textiles disposed of annually by USA
- Over 80% ends up in landfills
- Build A Unique Wardrobe
- Available clothing not found in malls/department stores
- Mostly one-off items
- Streamlined Shopping Experience
- Less crowded than thrift stores
- Carefully curated to align with current trends
1. Every year, upwards of 12 million tons of textiles are disposed of by America alone and over 80% of this material ends up in landfills. Shopping at a curated vintage store means you are buying 100% recycled clothing, keeping unloved garments out of landfills and giving them a second chance. Taking a stand against fast fashion doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice trendy looks; you can be stylish and ethical.
2. Whether you’re into high fashion or just like to dress nice to feel good, most of us know that clothing is an extension of our personalities. We dress how we feel and we feel how we dress. So when we go shopping, we’re on the hunt for something unique. Something you can wear without feeling like you might run into somebody with the exact same T-shirt from the exact same store. This can be difficult with so many stores mass producing clothing. Here at The Come Up, the majority of the items in our store are one-offs! You can’t go to a mall to find the same T-shirt because they are 20+ years old; vintage. This allows you to build a one-of-a-kind wardrobe with pieces that you will likely never see again.
3. If you’ve seen one thrift store, you’ve seen them all! Aisles and aisles of clothing. Racks packed to the max, clothes on the floor, people with shopping carts blocking aisles. It can be overwhelming. It can take hours to scour through just one thrift store and it’s extremely likely that you walk out empty handed. It can be time consuming and stressful. Curated vintage clothing stores are like 100 thrift stores condensed into a smaller, cleaner space. It’s all of the excitement of finding one of a kind pieces without all the extra baggage.
ABOUT THE COME UP: There are a few curated vintage clothing shops located in San Antonio, TX. One of those shops is The Come Up. Laura and Isaac are a young, plant-based couple that have a serious eye for vintage finds. Established in mid-2017, this vintage clothing store holds some of the most unique and nostalgic articles of clothing the city has to offer. Their passion for vintage clothing is made obvious not only by their dedication to constant sourcing (often spending upwards of 4 hours in one location) but also in the attention to detail and the care with which they treat these 20+ year old gems. Some items are upcycled and modified to meet current trends while many are revived; dingy once-white shirts made white again in an attempt to return them to their original conditions. And since we’re Green, we kinda dig that 😉 You can find them on instagram and twitter @thecomeupsa where they post daily finds and new arrivals. Or you can visit them in store at 607 W Hildebrand Ave, and ask them what their favorite dish on the menu is!